Movieside

Registriere Dich um ein Mitglied der Movieside-Community zu werden. Du kannst Dich an Diskussionen beteiligen und eigene Themen einbringen sowie Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern über die private Inbox vernetzen.

Disney+  The Beatles - Let It Be (Michael Lindsay-Hogg)

Hier seit
Reaktionen

Link: https://www.facebook.com/thebeatles/posts/pfbid0iQsVDG2KbWvz73vaqhmRJjX1f1eERK7QfddEN1NALrAnGyL5ZeYTYqjbN9xh7R5ul

Am 8. Mai ist es soweit: dann bringt Disney+ nach knapp 40 Jahren seit der letzten Homevideo-VÖ erstmals den legendären Dokumentarfilm LET IT BE von Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

Pressrelease:
BURBANK, Calif. (April 16) – Today, Disney+ announced that “Let It Be,” director Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s original 1970 film about The Beatles, will launch exclusively on Disney+ May 8, 2024. This is the first time the film is available in over 50 years.

First released in May 1970 amidst the swirl of The Beatles’ breakup, “Let It Be” now takes its rightful place in the band’s history. Once viewed through a darker lens, the film is now brought to light through its restoration and in the context of revelations brought forth in Peter Jackson’s multiple Emmy Award®-winning docuseries, “The Beatles: Get Back.” Released on Disney+ in 2021, the docuseries showcases the iconic foursome’s warmth and camaraderie, capturing a pivotal moment in music history.

“Let It Be” contains footage not featured in the “Get Back” docuseries, bringing viewers into the studio and onto Apple Corps’ London rooftop in January 1969 as The Beatles, joined by Billy Preston, write and record their GRAMMY Award®-winning album Let It Be, with its Academy Award®-winning title song, and perform live for the final time as a group. With the release of “The Beatles: Get Back,” fan clamour for the original “Let It Be” film reached a fever pitch. With Lindsay-Hogg’s full support, Apple Corps asked Peter Jackson’s Park Road Post Production to dive into a meticulous restoration of the film from the original 16mm negative, which included lovingly remastering the sound using the same MAL de-mix technology that was applied to the “Get Back” docuseries.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg says, “’Let It Be’ was ready to go in October/November 1969, but it didn’t come out until April 1970. One month before its release, The Beatles officially broke up. And so the people went to see ‘Let It Be’ with sadness in their hearts, thinking, ‘I’ll never see The Beatles together again. I will never have that joy again,’ and it very much darkened the perception of the film. But, in fact, how often do you get to see artists of this stature working together to make what they hear in their heads into songs. And then you get to the roof and you see their excitement, camaraderie and sheer joy in playing together again as a group and know, as we do now, that it was the final time, and we view it with full understanding of who they were and still are and a little poignancy. I was knocked out by what Peter was able to do with ‘Get Back,’using all the footage I’d shot 50 years previously.”

“I’m absolutely thrilled that Michael’s movie, ‘Let It Be,’ has been restored and is finally being re-released after being unavailable for decades,” says Peter Jackson. "I was so lucky to have access to Michael’s outtakes for 'Get Back,’ and I’ve always thought that ‘Let It Be’ is needed to complete the ‘Get Back’ story. Over three parts, we showed Michael and The Beatles filming a groundbreaking new documentary, and ‘Let It Be’ is that documentary – the movie they released in 1970. I now think of it all as one epic story, finally completed after five decades. The two projects support and enhance each other: ‘Let It Be’ is the climax of ‘Get Back,’ while ‘Get Back’ provides a vital missing context for ‘Let It Be.’ Michael Lindsay-Hogg was unfailingly helpful and gracious while I made ‘Get Back,’ and it’s only right that his original movie has the last word...looking and sounding far better than it did in 1970.”

“Let It Be,” directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, stars John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, with a special appearance by Billy Preston. The film was produced by Neil Aspinall with The Beatles acting as executive producers. The director of photography was Anthony B Richmond.

“Let It Be” will debut exclusively on Disney+ May 8, 2024.

Variety: Beatles’ 1970 ‘Let It Be’ Documentary, Out of Circulation for Four Decades, Headed to Disney+ After Restoration by Peter Jackson’s Team
NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/16/movies/disney-beatles-let-it-be-movie.html
Interview mit Lindsay-Hogg: Long Dismissed, the Beatles’ ‘Let It Be’ Film Returns After 54 Years

Die wichtigsten Eckpunkte:
- Das Bild wurde von PJs Park Road Post restauriert (wie das ganze Bildmaterial, das er für Get Back benutzt hatte)
- Aber: Regisseur Lindsay-Hogg hat PJ extra gebeten, das Bild filmischer zu machen: “It looks now like it was intended to look in 1969 or 1970, although at my request, Peter did give it a more filmic look than “Get Back,” which had a slightly more modern and digital look.”
- Ton wurde ebenfalls mit MAL, genau wie bei PJs Get Back, neu remixt.

• Themen-Starter Themen-Starter
Und noch was, bezüglich eines physisches Releases:

Allan Kozinn : I have read that you have also restored the original Let It Be film...
Peter Jackson : Yep, mhm yep.
Allan Kozinn : So that's finished, and is there any plan for that to turn up in our lifetime?
Peter Jackson : I don't know what Apple's plan is, I try not to interfere with their stuff too much. We restored it, which was great, 'cause they had to give their approval and everyone gave their approval, just getting people involved with Apple to actually all collectively agree to do Let It Be was a victory. So that was really great. They've kept it and sort of thought of it for like forty years so it was a breakthrough. So we restored it, we did a whole lot of really good music tweaking.
Michael [Lindsay-Hogg] couldn't travel to New Zealand, he was planning at one stage to sit with us and work on it but he was in New York, so we were feeding him stuff to look at and approve. I wasn't particularly involved in it per say as in sort of making it, just facilitating it, making it all run smoothly. But Michael was signing off on stuff and Tony Richmond -the DP- in L.A. was looking at the grade, tweaking and giving notes on the grade. I think Giles did a mix of the tracks.
I actually think it looks great, we applied some lessons that we learned on Get Back so in my opinion, the restoration actually looks better than Get Back. I mean there's things that we did on Let It Be that I wish we've done on Get Back, it doesn't look quite so restored but it's still as good. So I think Let It Be looks fantastic.
Michael was thrilled and Michael and I did a commentary track for it a long time ago, like a few months ago, just for sort of like a DVD / Blu-Ray thing. Michael and I watched it together, he was in New York, I was here and we were connected and we played the movie and watched it and talked about it. It was really just a commentary track, it was me asking him about the film, I just asked some questions as I watched it and he was telling really great stories. So certainly Apple is serious, to actually get us to do a commentary track for a possible future release. It's not just a frivolous thing [to do if there's no plan*]. But I haven't heard of any release plans."
- November 2023

Verstehe ich das richtig? Der Film wird ausschließlich am 8. Mai gezeigt?

- Das Bild wurde von PJs Park Road Post restauriert (wie das ganze Bildmaterial, das er für Get Back benutzt hatte)
- Aber: Regisseur Lindsay-Hogg hat PJ extra gebeten, das Bild filmischer zu machen: “It looks now like it was intended to look in 1969 or 1970, although at my request, Peter did give it a more filmic look than “Get Back,” which had a slightly more modern and digital look.”

slightly :blind:

Verstehe ich das richtig? Der Film wird ausschließlich am 8. Mai gezeigt?

Nein, ausschließlich auf Disney.

Na ja, PJ hat ja mit MLH einen AK aufgenommen, daher stehen die Chancen auf ein späteres physisches Release gar nicht so schlecht.

Live!

AZqQ9P5.jpeg

Ist das nicht das selbe Filmmaterial wie bei GET BACK? Nur das eben GET BACK viel länger ist?

Kann man jetzt nach der etwas näher an der Realität liegenden Get Back Doku bestimmt besser geniessen, steht fest auf dem Plan bei mir!

Ist das nicht das selbe Filmmaterial wie bei GET BACK? Nur das eben GET BACK viel länger ist?
Get Back wurde aus dem Material für den Film zusammengestellt und stellt einge Misverständnisse was das Ende der Band besser und unverfälscht dar. Der Film hat einen negtiven Beigeschmack, weil er sehr einseitig die vielschichtige Phase darstellt.

Get Back (Blu ray habe ich) müsste ja die bessere Version sein.

Na ja, Get Back (Peter Jackson) ist quasi die lange Doku zur Entstehung von Let It Be (Film von Lindsay-Hogg). Let It Be (Film von Lindsay-Hogg) ist wiederum eine Doku zur Entstehung von Let It Be (Album).

PJ war ja auch sehr darauf bedacht, möglichst kein Material aus LIB zu nutzen (bzw. auch, bis aufs Roof Concert halt) keine kompletten Songtakes zu verwenden, um nicht MLHs Film zu kannibalisieren.

Gerade nach langer Zeit mal wieder gesehen.
Der Film gefällt mir immer noch gut. Ich finde ihn flüssiger als Get Back und stärker auf die Musik fokussiert. Die beiden Filme ergänzen sich gut.

Sehr schön, dass der Film endlich wieder auch offiziell zugänglich ist. Seinen schlechten Ruf, er würde die Beatles als zerstrittenen Haufen darstellen, hat er ohnehin zu Unrecht.

Hoffentlich gibt's auch hier eine physikalische Veröffentlichung. Die würde ich sofort kaufen.

Ich fand es auch überraschend vergnüglich. Ich glaube, das Problem mit dem Film, weswegen es im Giftschrank verschwand, war letztendlich 1) das Empfinden der Beatles selbst, die ihre Trennung, als der Film rauskam, nur schwer verkrafteten, und 2) die ausgebleichten trostlosen Farben der VHS- und LDs, die Anfang der 80er rauskamen und dann auch wieder verschwanden.

Ich wage mal zu behaupten: hätten sich die Beatles nicht kurz davor getrennt, als der Film rauskam, wäre er ganz anders angekommen und seinen verdienten Platz bei den Pionieren von Musikdokumentationen angenommen worden: das war nämlich ein völliges Unding, dass man eine Band bei Proben live erleben durfte, und dann auch noch eine "Fly-on-the-Wall"-Doku ohne Erzähler oder Kontext - das ist, finde ich, damals ganz schön mutig gewesen. Da gebührt MLH ein gehöriger Respekt.
Der Film ist nämlich durchaus vergnüglich und keineswegs so trostlos wie das kollektive Bewußtsein ihn in die Geschichte einordnete.

Was mich aber störte, ist die, gelinde gesagt, Schludrigkeit bei der Restauration. Die Original-Credits am Anfang wurden zwar digital rekonstruiert, aber nur so in etwa. Die Wipes beim Wechsel von Twickenham nach Savile Row und aufs Dach sind verloren gegangen. Das Ende (Standbild mit The End / Made at Twickenham Studios, England) mit der unterlegten Reprise von Get Back ist völlig weggefallen, dafür halt schwarze Credits mit akustischen Outtakes, wie sie auch PJs Get Back hätten entstammen können. Also da liefern Fans, die Krieg der Sterne in der Originalversion rekonstruieren, viel bessere Arbeit ab.

Zurück
Oben